East or West? Which way do we go?

Okay folks,

We’re in the final stretch before heading out on our Round the World Adventure.

There  are serious choices to be made and I am terrible at making decisions so I’m hoping you can help.

East or West?

Which way should we go? (Note: I am not asking you to tell me “where to go”  — I’m talking to you Andre Greenwood.)

arrowright

this way?

Our original plan had us going East:

Out through Eastern Canada, hop over to Europe, down to Africa, across to Asia, down to Australia, and back over to South America before heading home through the west.

Now we’re considering, West:

Out through western Canada, down to South America, over to Australia, Up through Asia, across to Africa , followed by Europe, Eastern Canada and home.

arrowleft

or that?

(Either way we’ll work it so that we avoid winter because as I’ve mentioned that is high on my priority list.)

Granted it’s not the worst problem for a family to have, but it’s still splitting votes at my house and we’d love if you’d weigh in.

Which way would you go?

Ann April 9, 2011, 7:57 PM

Okay…you asked for my opinon…go East! This is totally based on my gut because I have not done a world adventure. What lucky kids!
Now I have a question for you…can you adopt me:)

Heather Greenwood Davis April 9, 2011, 8:03 PM

You seem nice but I’m afraid we’re at kid capacity over here. We are accepting meet-ups in foreign lands though! :)
East, huh? hmmm

Wanderingcarol April 9, 2011, 8:03 PM

Just to be different, I say West. I like to do Europe last on my round the world trips – and I’m not be snide, I’ve done two. The only problem I had was that wherever I was I wanted to be elsewhere. Just remember, live in the moment and don’t focus about the big destination ahead.

Heather Greenwood Davis April 9, 2011, 8:08 PM

Glad you got through!
LIke the idea of Europe last because it puts us there in Spring instead of dead summer, also thinking chances we’ll be more frugal in the end when funds are lowest than in the beginning when every shop will be calling my name.
It’s getting a bit easier – strangely – to worry less about the little things as it gets closer. This feels like the last big decision.

Emiel April 10, 2011, 9:09 AM

Some parts of Europe can be extremely hot in mid Summer indeed: Spain, Italy, Turkey. Spring would be a great time to visit ‘us’ :)
Either way, it will be an awesome adventure. Ever thought about flipping a coin? Shoot a video of that important moment and post it on your blog as “The starting point of our RTW trip”. There are always two sides to a coin, both have its advantages and disadvantages. Flip the coin and serendipity will guide you along the way! :)
Have fun making the choice.

Heather Greenwood Davis April 10, 2011, 1:11 PM

Emiel, Your comment about flipping a coin intrigues me. I’m so torn though I bet it would end up in one of those “best outta 3, no, best outta 7 situations.” :)

Amy April 9, 2011, 8:11 PM

I vote east, and not just because Carol said West. I like easing out of nearby Canada before taking the leap to Europe, and then the bigger leap to Africa, etc. I guess my approach could be called, “baby steps”.

Heather Greenwood Davis April 9, 2011, 8:16 PM

Shall I court controversy and ask what you have against Western Canada? Nah, I probably shouldn’t do that. *cough* BC hater *cough*

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments April 10, 2011, 11:25 AM

I say West. I like Europe in the spring (especially Turkey – which I’ve been to in the dead of August). Let us know what you decide because I’m always up for a foreign meet-up!

Heather Greenwood Davis April 10, 2011, 1:09 PM

How great would it be to see you while we’re on the road! I’ll definitely keep you posted.