Valentine’s day let you down? It’s not too late for a Romance Redo

The day Hallmark celebrates Love is over. How’d you do?

If your Valentine’s Day was a “Valentine’s Don’t” take heart! There are 364 days left to attempt a do-over. I shared my own attempt to woo my husband in Arizona in my latest article for The Toronto Star. Along the way I learned a few tips to help those of us for whom flowers and chocolates aren’t always top of mind.

Hope you enjoy it.

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ.–Twelve years ago I wandered into a bar in Scottsdale and met a man who greeted me with a double cheek kiss, held my hand at intervals, and arranged one of the most magical dinners I’ve ever had.

While it was happening my husband was at home watching our baby.

That trip to the Royal Palms Resort and Spa was for a story I was writing for the newspaper. That man was then-director of romance Paul Xanthopoulos and his job was to teach me the ways of the woo.

Fast forward to last summer when I finally worked up the gumption to put his teachings into action.

couple arizona

Romance for him means pampering for me!

Under the pretense of having my husband join me for a shopping trip to Arizona, I lured him to the resort, hoping its orange trees and hidden alcoves would help me set a romantic mood.

I’m happy to report “Operation: Romance the Spouse” was a success.

couple arizona

Click here to see what I did right, the second time around:

Royal Palms

Romantic dinner for two in Scottsdale, Arizona completely arranged by someone else? Don’t mind if I do.

Amy February 17, 2016, 10:09 AM

Love this! Your romantic weekend doesn’t have to be Valentine’s Day weekend!

Heather February 21, 2016, 11:54 AM

Exactly! Don’t wait for a holiday. Make your own!

Tamara February 17, 2016, 10:22 PM

How sweet! We could definitely use a redo. It was so cold this Valentine’s Day that no one wanted to leave the house but my hubby did make a fantastic meal.

Heather February 21, 2016, 11:54 AM

It was like getting all the rewards and only having to do a tiny bit of the work!

Keryn February 18, 2016, 9:33 PM

Oh man! I need my own “operation romance.” It’s been way too long since we got to be together without the boys and really woo each other. Way to go lady!

Allison February 22, 2016, 4:16 PM

Way to go, Heather! It’s fun to be romantic on Valentine’s Day, but we agree that it’s more important to celebrate love whenever, and as often as we can.

Colleen Lanin February 22, 2016, 7:27 PM

Since I live in Scottsdale now, I think a staycation with my hubs at the Royal Palms Resort and Spa may be in order!