Why you should spend 3 minutes in a -110 degree ice box

Recently I was a guest on Michael Patrick Shiels in the Morning. The Detroit-based radio show is heard on 10 radio stations across Michigan.  I met Michael Patrick on a trip to Dubai years agscene sparkling hill and we got re-acquainted recently on the media voyage of the Disney Dream. Then a few days ago he came across a story I wrote in the February issue of Hemispheres magazine on the Cold Spa at Sparkling Hills Resort.He invited me to be on his show and the rest as they say is radio history. :)

Once I’d explained how the cold spa works ( including the need to cover all your digits, remove all jewelery and wear as little as possible)  MPS’s number one question for me was “why?” I realized that to fully understand the benefits people might need more of the story.

Here’s the first-person piece I did for The Toronto Star

Still not convinced?

Try it! Believe me if someone who hates snow and ice as much as I do thinks it works, it works!

When you’re not cold sauna-ing it up, you can enjoy some of the other (warmer) benefits like those in the photos below.

spa

Sparkling Hill Resort's steam and sauna area in the Kur Spa

bedroom sparkling hill

Room with a View

Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments March 12, 2011, 12:36 AM

I don’t know… I’m still not convinced. I had trouble doing the cold dunk at Bliss Spa! Though, I would gladly sip wine with you and check out the view :)

Heather Greenwood Davis March 13, 2011, 2:22 PM

I know it’s hard to believe but I’m telling you it is really worth it. Your adrenaline is pumping so hard you barely feel the cold and by the time you do it is just about time to come out. You’re thinking so hard about the snow forming on your lashes that you hardly feel the burn on your skin…. ok so maybe that’s not a selling point :) …but the feeling when you come out? A euphoria nothing you’ve ever felt before.

sylvie March 14, 2011, 7:11 PM

I did it! not only once but twice, the best thing ever. You get an adrenaline rush…a jump start…like a therapeutic shock…Can’t wait to do it again…and by the way my arthritic pain is almost gone.

Heather Greenwood Davis March 17, 2011, 12:20 AM

So glad someone agrees! It was amazing and I’d do it again in an instant.

Molly Rider March 17, 2011, 12:53 PM

I work part time for a chiropractic office and she always advises people to ice injuries or sore muscles etc. Heat only inflames the tissue. This sounds like the extreme, cure your whole body sauna!!! I’m definitely intrigued! And, I love the idea of a cold sauna being installed in offices for a little 2pm pick-me-up! Coffee might actually have a competitor! :)

Heather Greenwood Davis March 17, 2011, 2:18 PM

I went in with a sore shoulder and came out cured! Well, for a few hours at least. :) I do believe that if I did the full 10 treatments I’d see a longer lasting difference since it seems to be based on good info. Let me know if you go. I’d love to hear your experience.