Our year-long trip around the world is still fresh in my mind. We travelled to some amazing places, and met some fascinating people, and made new friends along the way. Today I want to take a trip down memory lane and re-visit Dubai, a place like no other in the world.
In Dubai we got the opportunity to hang out with our new friends. You can read about how we met this group of friends, by chance, and then how amazing they were to hang out with.
Recently, I wrote about hotels in Dubai for Expedia. This is a city that has turned to tourism, with great success, and invited the world to come and experience the culture, and amazing architecture it has to offer. You can read my article for Expedia here.
And to get you even more intrigued, I’ve compiled 5 fast facts about Dubai.
Here are 5 things to know about Dubai, located in the United Arab Emirates.
- Dubai is the 22nd most expensive city in the world, with some pretty expensive hotel rooms (second only to Geneva according to a 2014 study);
- Oil was discovered in territorial waters off of Dubai in 1966, turning this city into a rich centre for oil production (where it once was an important port for trade);
- Dubai is in the Arabian Desert and a warm summer day can be as hot as 49 degrees Celsius
- Arabic is the national and official language of Dubai
- It is known as the shopping capital of the Middle East and is often thought of for it’s luxurious goods.
Have you learned something new about this fascinating city? It was a mesmerizing stop along our world journey!
Dubai is a grand, fascinating city. Here, you can find the world’s largest aquarium and the world’s longest gold chain, made of 22 kg of gold. Also, Dubai features Dubai Ski, an indoor ski resort. Who knew skiing in the desert was possible?