The last 100 days

100 days.

Great Wall China child

Great Wall of China

That’s it.

And by the time you read this we won’t even have that.

Australia cook

Cooking on Hayman Island

In less than 100 days we’ll be home.

We talked about that idea as a family a few days ago and in many ways we’re torn. We are loving this trip.

washing elephants thailand

Thailand

Everything about it has been incredible: The people we’ve met and the places we’ve been;

masai and child kenya

Masai Mara, Kenya

the way we’ve worked together as a family to overcome tough situations and the way we’ve laughed and loved harder than ever before.

Gandhi children India

India

In so many ways it is hard to believe that a big part of our experience – the traveling that has pushed us to rely more on each other –  will be over in 100 days.

egypt pharoah family

Egypt

The way I see it we’ve got two choices, we can start the countdown to home or we can make these last 100 days every bit as incredible, inspiring, educational and exciting as the others have been.

Orphanage Shanghai

We vote for the latter.

And so we’re taking these last 100 days to do what calls us: No firm plans, no set dates. We’ll move as we feel like and as the flights and hotel rates allow.

camels india

India

We know the big picture.  Time in the Middle east and Europe. Stops in the U.S. and Eastern Canada but which cities or for how long remains to be seen.

malaysia beach

Malaysia

We’ll live out the rest of this amazing time together and take it as it comes.  We’ve got no regrets for choosing this year and we have no intention of creating any now.

Glaciers family new zealand

New Zealand

If you had 100 days where would you spend them?

• Bonnie Upton March 26, 2012, 1:14 PM

Go to Prague and then take the train to Krakow, Poland. It’s amazing.  You can go to auschwitz berkinau..We took Jacob two years ago and it was incredible.  You get beauty and you get to learn about the haulocaust etc. Anyway just my opinion.  But it was so awesome we went back to Warsaw the following year and Gdansk.  Well I’m done..oh and of course London England is awesome too :)

• Heather March 27, 2012, 3:24 AM

I really would love to do that Bonnie. Let me see what the flights are saying…;)

• Irene March 26, 2012, 4:48 PM

I am proud of what you guys are doing.  I love the pictures  with the local people you are meeting.  Eastern Canada welcomes you when you get here!

• Heather March 27, 2012, 3:23 AM

Thanks Irene! Can’t wait to explore the Maritimes.

• Maija @ Maija's Mommy Moments March 26, 2012, 8:16 PM

I can’t wait to see what the last leg of your trip will bring.

• Heather March 27, 2012, 3:23 AM

me too! :)

• Sheena March 27, 2012, 4:21 AM

Such an amazing trip! I’m sad for you that it’s coming to an end, but love your sentiments about living it all to the full.  The photos you’ve taken will bring back so many happy memories in years to come.

• Heather March 28, 2012, 4:30 PM

So true! Even now we’ll stumble across a photo and start laughing and talking. So glad we have them.

• Dianne / Smilenwaven March 27, 2012, 7:30 AM

If it’s anything like the first leg of your trip… you’ll enjoy every minute of your last 100 days!

• Connie March 28, 2012, 9:18 AM

Hello my precious adventurers, with only 100 days to go, my heart bleeds for you. On the other hand, to be honest, I can hardly wait to see how the boys have grown & to hear first hand, more stories of your absolutely wonderful escapades. I know, you will make the most of the time left & that Ish is itching, to return to work anyway.
    We are in our usual winter spot & will be home, way ahead of you.
    God bless.

• Heather March 28, 2012, 4:29 PM

Thanks so much. Getting home to see family and friends  is the good news about coming home. Can’t wait for that.

• Quincy April 1, 2012, 10:44 PM

so inspiring!!! your words really resonated with me,  Heather!!!   Thank you for letting us in on the greatness in the world!!!

Quincy

• Heather April 9, 2012, 2:36 AM

Thanks Quincy. There is so much greatness out here and so many more stories to tell.

• Fimomitchell April 1, 2012, 7:13 PM

Great pics!

• Jes_mateo April 6, 2012, 9:29 PM

Cant wait to see the last 100 days!! What an experience for the family!! Take care and big hugs to Ethan and Cameron.
    God bless and have a wonderful easter.!
    Jesica

• Heather April 9, 2012, 2:38 AM

Thanks Jes! Big hugs right back!

• Madkahuna April 23, 2012, 12:06 PM

Love the pics, Great travels ahead, Peace. D Misick AKA Madkahuna

• Sherrie Guthrie May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM

nice pictures! your really lucky …I travelled to London England over the Christmas holidays ..my fav. candy was sherberts and my fav. drink ironbrew….boys you have to try this

from Owen in Mrs Guthrie’s class

• satsumabug May 13, 2012, 12:21 PM

I love this! My husband and I (no kids) have just started traveling the world (http://satsumabug.com/Around-the-world) and we’re so amazed you are doing it as a family. We’re in Toronto until the end of June and really enjoying it so far. If your eastern Canada tour gets you into here before then, let me know!

• satsumabug May 13, 2012, 12:25 PM

Ha, whoops, I didn’t realize you were FROM Toronto. Well, we love your city! :)