Updated Itinerary for Round the World Trip

live logo

Living the logo

What a whirlwind planning this round the world trip has been! We’ve only been on the road for two weeks and we have already learned so much about the world, ourselves and what we need to get by.

So are we fully prepared for the remainder of our year of adventure? Yes and No.

We’ve intentionally kept our itinerary loose. While we know where our trip will take us so far we’ve only booked about a third of the tickets we’ll need to complete it. Part of that is because, as I explained here, we opted to pay as we go rather than sign on for a Round the World ticket. I still feel it was the right decision for us.

There are other decisions we made that are also working out so far. We stuck to our plan and rolled out into the world with one Eagle Creek bag each. We’ve done laundry twice now with ease and so far most of our clothing choices were right. The few things we think we’re missing (a better jacket for the kids, an extra pair of jeans for me) we’ll pick up before leaving North America in a few days.

The world is ours The butterflies that were attacking my nerves a few months ago are back but this time they are accompanied by smiles. Watching the boys excitedly yammer to people we meet  about their “world adventure” reminds me of why we set out to do this in the first place. And watching them proudly do things they never thought they could (and which sometimes make me a little nervous) with grins they can’t hide, makes me certain we’re doing the right thing.

We’ll spend a year as a family creating memories that will hopefully bring us all closer to each other, help us appreciate what we left at home and help us to be better human beings.

The journey has begun and it is so far from being over.

A lot of you are asking for more information on where we’ll be when. Here’s how our plans are shaking out this week:

June 30 - Depart Toronto for Winnipeg, Manitoba

July 3 – Saskatoon

July 6 – Calgary and Canmore

July 11- Vancouver and Whistler

July 16 – Seattle, Washington

July 17 – Portland, Oregon

July 20 –  Buenos Aires, Argentina/ Quito Ecuador/ Galapagos Islands/ Cartegena, Colombia/ Bogota, Colombia

August 20 – Los Angeles

August 24 – China – Beijing, Shanghai  and Hong Kong

September 21 – Sydney, Australia/ Tasmania/ New Zealand

There’s more to come and I’ll let you know as soon as we do. :)

• Addy July 18, 2011, 1:29 PM

I’m really enjoying your blog and will be following with my son.  WOW!  What an exciting experience you have planned.    Thankss for sharing it with the rest of us!

• Heather July 18, 2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks! I’m so glad you are enjoying it.my boys are readying their next post. Hope your son will send them notes! They love replying :)

• Jennifer July 22, 2011, 8:30 PM

September is a fantastic time to be in Sydney. My favorite time of year. You might be interested in our favorite things to do there. Too many things for a week, but hopefully a few things that you”ll like!

• Heather July 23, 2011, 9:07 AM

Thanks! I will check it out. Love when people have been share tips!

• Michael / South Bay Foodies July 26, 2011, 12:11 AM

Following your travels is a treat!  Be sure to give a shout when you are in LA.  I’d be glad to offer some recommendations from a local on things to do and see.  Cheers!

• Heather July 30, 2011, 10:06 PM

Thanks Michael. Always appreciate the input!

• Pamela Kennedy August 4, 2011, 4:18 PM

You guys are amaising.  I know we here at YR all all watching and sharing in your experiences.

All the best
    The Countessa

• Claudette Gardner August 12, 2011, 11:43 AM

What a fantastic experience .  Talk about making memories! These memories will last a life time.  I, along with my Grade 3/4class , will be following your blog during the upcoming school year.  Keep posting those awesome pics.

• Heather August 12, 2011, 10:46 PM

Thank you!! Really hope that we’ll be able to share some of what we’re learning with kids. If you have specific requests from any of our planned destinations let me know.

• Sherriemae23 October 3, 2011, 1:15 PM

Looks Cool.

• Joy Marshall January 14, 2012, 4:20 PM

Hi Ish! It’s Joy from work. Miss your hugs and upbeat attitude :) Blessings and love to you and yours.