Canada Travel: Worth the trip

Ok. I know what I’m about to say is going to sound hokey. You’ll probably roll your eyes dramatically and their might even be some mocking hand gestures  but it’s been 3 weeks now and I can’t hold it in any longer so I’m just going to go ahead and say it:

Canada Rocks.

Canada scenerySeriously. This country is so incredibly amazing I don’t even know where to begin.

We made our way across the country stopping in cities that were originally meant to be a chance for the family to explore, learn a little and get used to being on the road.

I expected a grade 7 geography lesson. I got a full-blown dramatic production and learned a few things myself.

I don’t know why but somewhere between the elementary textbooks and the high school exams something got lost for me.  This amazing country that is so diverse in landscape and people became…well… blah.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve always been a proud Canadian. And over the years through my stories I’ve found bits of it that are particularly special.

It’s just that for the most part it was a quiet pride. Brought out via a t-shirt and a mini-flag on July 1 and then quietly tucked

away.

No longer.

Mt. Engadine - at home

Feeling at home

I think one of the best decisions we made on this trip was opting to include Canada in it.

Sure, I was mocked when I announced that my first stops would be the prairie provinces: Manitoba – a full 1.5 hour flight from home – Saskatchewan and Alberta,  but the truth is given the chance I’d do it again.

Because it’s only when you sit in the stands of a Goldeyes baseball game or “fish the Red” in Manitoba;  learn the history of the iconic Delta Bessborough or watch Saskatoon children playing on River Landing; watch your 6-year old learn to ride a horse in Kananaskis,

Riding Cam

come face to camera to face with a bear for the first time or marvel at a moose while sipping your coffee at Mt. Engadine Lodge; or take the first lick of Gelato from Bella Gellateria in Vancouver

Gelato

mmmm Gelato (@bellagellateria)

and watch your newly nine-year old surpass your expectations on a ropes course in Whistler….

Ropes that you realize it…

How truly blessed we are.

How bountiful this land is.

How much we take for granted.

How beautiful a country we live in.

We’ve just left  North America and are currently settling into the life and lifestyles of South America. There will be other stops ahead where many aren’t as fortunate as we are at home and don’t have the luxury of taking it all for granted.

There are still more stories to come  out of this first leg because Canada  offered up even more than I’d planned for, but I wanted to share how grateful I am for the chance to have seen and learned a bit more about my country and to have shown it to my children and hopefully, through you, to yours.

And so, mock me if you will but I’ll say it again .

I am Canadian and, after seeing our Western provinces, prouder than ever to say so.

Who’s with me? Have a Canadian lovestory to share? Let me know your fave spots in the comments below. We’ll hit Eastern Canada next summer and I’d love to know what’s not to be missed.

Anonymous July 22, 2011, 1:35 AM

OMG Heather! Yes! The girls and I just had the opportunity to see Ottawa through the eyes of a tourist yesterday and I was blown away by how much we take for granted in our own incredibly, beautiful hometown. I am a very proud Canadian. We’re pretty cool and I don’t mean that as in cold ;)

Heather July 23, 2011, 9:13 AM

Oh Ottawa is a fantastic city for that! The whole province holds new intrigue for me now. So glad you got out and did that with your girls. Post the link here.

Charmainehome July 22, 2011, 1:49 AM

Great blog!

Heather July 23, 2011, 9:12 AM

Thanks :)

Bill Ing July 22, 2011, 2:06 AM

In 1994, after my second year university, I planned to take a train trip out to Saskatchewan to visit family.

The helpful VIA rail CSR who I talked to for tickets talked me into paying a small amount more for a Canrail student pass.

My boss at the Scarborough Library branch I worked at told me to spend more time in the Rockies and BC while another staffer left a National Geographic Traveller magazine openned up to the Eastern trains.

In a month, I went west and then all the way east.   Met a lot of interesting people from within and visiting from far.  Collected water from the Pacific and 2 weeks later, dumped it into the Atlantic.

Canada does indeed rock!

Heather July 23, 2011, 9:11 AM

What a fantastic experience that must have been. And to do it solo! Our time out west has already made us excited about the time to come out east. And one day up north as well. Thanks for sharing!

Boomergirl July 22, 2011, 9:48 PM

Canada sure does rock, Globetrotting Mama. Here’s hoping your family’s trip of a lifetime is a great ride!!

Boomergirl July 22, 2011, 9:48 PM

Heather July 23, 2011, 9:06 AM

Thanks. If we came home tomorrow it would already have been the trip of a lifetime for us. A fantastic adventure already.

Wag53 July 25, 2011, 12:41 AM

We were fortunate to do  a bit  of a family road travel from Edmonton via  Jasper, okanagan Valley,  banff, Lake Louise, Vancouver and Victoria in  1985. That was  our first  exposure  to the west. We  have made  many subsequent  trips for the  vistas, people, majestic mountains  and incredibly natural  beauty. The impact has  not diminished  over the  past  26 years.

I hope the same will be true  for you and your family. Canada  does “Rock”

Heather July 30, 2011, 10:08 PM

Sherrie Guthrie October 3, 2011, 1:34 PM

Hello,I am a student in Mrs. Guthrie’s class I think its really awesome that you are traviling around the world. One day I hope to travel around the world like you are.I saw how you had a picture of you going ziplining or walking a long rope in the air.I did that once it was fun! Well hope the rest of you trip is really fun! From:Kate